Quote of awesomeness: “I am still learning” ~ Michelangelo
It’s actually spelled as Google. heh.
The founders of Google is *drum roooooooooole please* Larry Page and Sergey Brin! These names may not be that familiar but they are the creators of this Google. Did you know that by the second, there are over 40,000 searches? This then goes to over 3.5 billion (we’re talking billions, people) searches per day. Which then translates to over 1.2 trillion (we’re talking trillions, PEOPLE!) searches per year and this amount of searches was like this in 2012!!! Imagine the number it is now! Yes, that is a big number, I know.
Going back to the creators, let’s do a timeline!
- Brin and Page (future founders of Google) meet up for the first time at Stanford University.
- Page went to Stanford’s campus visit and it was Brin who was his campus tour guide.
- Brin and Page who together on their thesis project, BackRub, which would turn into Google later on.
- A check for $100,000 in August is given to Brin and Page by Andy Bechtolsheim as an investment for Google.
- September 7, 1998, Google becomes an official corporation.
- Brin and Page leave Stanford and stayed in a garage at Menlo Park, California, this was their first companies headquarters!
- In June, their company received $25 million from two investment companies
- In August, the Google company moves to a bigger headquarters located in Mountain View, California.
- End of this year, Google searches had an average of 7 million per day
- Just after 6 months, Google searches reach 18 million per day
- Google becomes the world’s largest search engine
- Google came out search abilities available in ten additional languages:
- In August, Eric Schmidt is hired as Google’s chief executive officer
- Daily searched reach 100 million, which is 1,000 every second
- Google’s revenues get close to $85 million.
- Google users could explore more than 250 million images with Google Image search
- America Online (AOL) agrees to use Google’s search program to reach its 34 million AOL users!
- Google was able to start serving 72 different languages!
- In the spring, Gmail, Google’s e-mail service, is launched
- In March, Google moves to new Googleplex campus in Mountain View
- On August 19, Google offers stock for sale to the public for the first time
- Also in August, Brin, and Page announce their plans for a Google.org, a philanthropic arm of Google Inc.
- Google Maps is released
- Google Earth is released
- In October, Google buys Youtube for $1.65 billion
- Forbes names Brin and Page the fifth most powerful people in the world!
Can you imagine? What started from just a project at Stanford turning into what it is now?
It really is
With one single search with Google, maps, images, information can be found and learned. Just recently, Google has been creating their own AI! Google has shaped the way that so many people are learning out there. Even just the word Google has become part of this everyday speech as it has become such an important part of this life (even in dictionaries!). It’s just amazing.
© Elizabeth Anne Villoria